If you’re shopping for a baby crib, then you might be surprised by the wide range and types of cribs that are available. From mini to standard to convertible, many parents are wondering which one they should buy? In order to help you, we’ve explained the 7 most common types of baby cribs that are available and what are their advantages. Since your baby will be sleeping in a crib for the first 2-3 years of his or her life, it’s wise to invest a little bit more in this furniture item.
Disclosure: This post features affiliate links, which means that we may get compensated for items purchased through our site, at no additional cost to the reader.
1. Mini Cribs are smaller than regular baby cribs. They that take up less space, making them a good option if you’re looking for a crib for your master bedroom or if you’re short on space in your baby’s room. They fit a mattress size: 23.87″ W x 37″ L, while a standard baby crib fits a mattress size: 28″ W x 52″ L. Mini cribs can be used by a newborn to 18-24 months. They also have adjustable mattress levels. Some have the option to be folded, and may come with wheels.
The picture shown above shows the Folding Mini Portable Crib with Mattress, by Delta Children. It’s lightweight, easy to fold, store away and travel with. It has two positions for the mattress, and can hold up to 35 pounds. It’s made of solid wood, so it has a strong and durable construction. Price: $119.99 – Buy Now from Wayfair (image source and retailer).
2. Portable cribs – these are usually mini cribs, that have a folding mechanism. This means that you can easily fold the crib and store it away in your house when it’s not used. Also once it’s folded you can easily put it in your car and bring it with you, when you have trips to the grandparents for example. Also, many come with wheels making it easy to move from room to room. The mattress level height can be adjusted.
3. Standard Cribs fit a standard size crib mattress, which means that they can be used from birth until 2-3 years of age. They usually have 3 height adjustment levels, so they can accommodate your baby as it grows. Once your baby outgrows the standard crib however, you’ll need to purchase a toddler bed. This is one of the reasons why parents prefer to buy a convertible crib instead.
4. Convertible Cribs are very practical because they can be used from birth to toddlerhood and even into a child’s teenage years, that’s why many parents prefer them. They allow you to convert the baby crib into a toddler bed by removing one side of the crib, and placing a guardrail. This is called a 2 in 1 convertible crib. There is also a 3 in 1 convertible crib, which has the option to be transformed into a toddler bed and a daybed. The 4 in 1 convertible crib is probably the most popular because it can be converted into a toddler bed, day bed, and a twin bed by using the panel as a headboard and footboard. Depending on the manufacturer, you might have to purchase a separate conversion kit or the guardrail for the toddler and twin bed transformation.
Here is a perfect example of a 4 in 1 convertible crib. This is the Camden 4-in-1 Convertible Crib, from Child Craft. As you can see, it easily converts from a baby crib into a toddler bed, day bed and full bed, which will last from baby to teen! Keep in mind that you’ll need to purchase a guard rail and bed rail separately. Price: $199.99 – Buy Now from Wayfair (image source and retailer).
5. Crib and Changing Table Combo – this is a standard size crib that has a changing table attached to the footboard or headboard. Some parents find this convenient, because you’ll have two furniture items designed in a compact way, plus you don’t have to purchase the two items separately. The changing table usually has three drawers which can be used for storing toiletries and baby clothes. Once your baby outgrows the changing table, you can just use it as a dresser. These cribs also have adjustable mattress heights, and most of the times are convertible into a toddler bed, day bed, etc.
6. Round cribs – there aren’t many round cribs sold, however we were able to find the best Round Cribs and feature them in an article. They have a round or circular shape, and some can be converted into an oval shape toddler bed. Some parents prefer them because there are no edges you can bump into, and they have a stylish design.
7. Canopy Crib – if you want to bring a sense of style and elegance into your little baby’s nursery, then you might want to consider buying a canopy baby crib. They are usually made of metal and fit a standard crib mattress size, with the option to adjust the height of the mattress.
This is a beautiful example of the Monarch Hill Haven Baby Canopy Crib by Little Seeds. It has a metal frame with gold finish. It fits a standard size crib mattress (not included). Price: $309.99 – Buy Now from Wayfair (image source and retailer).
Other types of cribs:
- Cribs with storage – these come with an underbed drawer, which is very handy for storing away baby items. If you’re short on storage space in your baby’s room, then you might want to check them out.
- Metal cribs – the majority of cribs are made of wood, but if you prefer the elegant look that metal cribs have, then you might want to get one for your baby.
- Different color cribs – the most common colors are grey, white, wood, but you’ll be able to find pink, blue, golden and other interesting colors as well.
With so many different options and choices, you’re sure to find a crib that’s right for your baby and will fit and look great in your home.
Please note: the prices mentioned in this post were last updated on September 4, 2019. For up to date prices, please click on the link of each product.